I am so excited about this recipe because…INSTANT POT!
Whoever invented the instant pot, I want to hug you. What a great idea. Pressure cook, slow cook, saute, steam rice, and even make yogurt with it!
My personal favorite thing about it is that you can throw frozen meat straight into the pot and cook it in as little as 15 minutes! It’s also easy to make porridge, beans, quinoa etc in it.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of the links on my page, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I appreciate your support!
Why You Should Ditch Your Crockpot For an Instant Pot
And yet another cool thing about it is that the inside pot is made with stainless steel, which is awesome for a couple of reasons. First, I don’t know if you are aware that a lot of crock pots actually have lead in them! Which means that you’re at risk of it building up in your system just from using a crockpot over time. My blogger friend Kate wrote a post all about this issue, which you can read here. Second, it’s a lot lighter and easier to clean. You can throw most of the parts of the instant pot in the dishwasher for easy clean up.
There are several options for pressure cookers and the Pressure Cooker Pros compare them and offer reviews so you can make sure you’re getting the best one (hint: it’s the instant pot!)
In this recipe, I use the instant pot to cook chicken right from the freezer as well as the sweet potatoes all at the same time! Please note that you’ll need to have two mediums sized sweet potatoes and 2 similar sized chicken breasts that are not too thick in order for them all to cook evenly. I used about 1 lb (2 smaller chicken breasts).
This meal is full of protein, fiber and deliciousness and it’s super easy to store as leftovers to bring to work for a healthy lunch.
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 2 frozen, organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (of similar size and not too thick)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce of your choice
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Instant Pot – where to get
- To your instant pot, add the chicken breasts and sweet potatoes (you won’t need the rack for this recipe). Make sure the potatoes and chicken are as evenly spread out on the bottom of the pot as you can get them (don’t stack on top of each other) and add 1 cup of water.
- Turn the valve to “seal” and lock the lid in place.
- Use the “manual” button and set to 16 minutes.
- While it’s cooking, you can have your cilantro chopped and ready to go and cheese & greek yogurt set aside.
- Once the IP beeps completed, use the natural pressure release method by letting it sit another 10 minutes or so, until the little silver valve drops. This allows it to continue to cook a little longer.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks and toss with BBQ sauce.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and top with the BBQ chicken, mozzarella cheese, a dollop of greek yogurt and cilantro.
A few other instant pot recipes I enjoy:
Never miss a post! I send out my new posts + weekly deals and fun finds once a week. Sign up here!