There’s a little sweet, a little savory and A LOT of healthy going on in this sweet potato / beet / chickpea / kale / tahini bowl.
Bonus, it’s vegetarian, if that’s important to you. It’s also gluten free and vegan for that matter.
The reason I LOVE this bowl is because it’s all veggies and it’s actually filling and satisfying. Without meat or dairy! That’s a rare find if you ask me.
I want to talk a little bit about tahini in case you’re not familiar with it. Tahini is ground sesame seeds that comes in a jar and looks kinda like peanut butter. You can find it near the peanut butter in the store. I love using tahini because it adds a creaminess and substance to salads and other dishes. It can be thinned out for a more runny consistency in a salad or kept thicker for heartier dishes. It has 6g of protein per serving which makes it a great addition to vegetarian dishes.
Speaking of protein, this recipe is packed with it (which is awesome for a vegetarian dish)! Chickpeas, sweet potatoes and tahini all have a significant amount of protein.
Fun tidbit: Beets and kale are rich in antioxidants (cancer prevention) and high in minerals and vitamins.
Enjoy this super healthy, guilt-free, hearty meal!
- 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, baked and diced
- 1 can organic chickpeas / garbanzo beans
- 3 beets, peeled, roasted and diced
- 4 cups kale, sauteed in olive oil until wilted
- Tahini Dressing
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- **Store bought option: Trader Joe’s Tahini Sauce (no sneaky ingredients and super easy!)
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 350 for 45 min – 1 hour. At the same time you can roast the beets. I like to peel them first, roast them whole and then dice. You can saute the kale at any time in olive oil with salt and set aside. When everything is done cooking, mix together all the ingredients in a bowl and top with the dressing! The dressing is super delicious homemade, but as an alternative, Trader Joe’s Tahini sauce (near the hummus in the store) is a great option. Drizzle with dressing and enjoy!