It’s a love / hate thing right? You’re in love with it but you know what all that sugar does to your body, your skin and your energy level.
Enter these little healthy dessert cocoa balls to get your sugar fix without all the guilt. I almost always crave a little something sweet after lunch or dinner. These little guys are perfect because they are full of healthy fat (almonds, coconut oil, chia seeds), protein (almonds and protein powder) and are sweetened naturally. I use Vega Protein Powder because it is a plant-based protein naturally sweetened with stevia (zero calorie and comes from the stevia plant). This protein powder is sweetened enough that I don’t add anymore sweetener to this recipe.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of the links on my page, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I appreciate your support!
Health Benefits of the Ingredients in this Recipe:
Almonds: Healthy fat that reduces cholesterol and fills you with fiber.
Chia Seeds: where to getPlant based protein, antioxidants and tons of omega-3’s –
Cinnamon: Has been known to help lower blood sugars and help prevent heart disease.
Coconut Oil / Shredded Coconut: Don’t let the high percentage of saturated fat scare you, it is shown to reduce cholesterol and reduce injury to the arteries. It also has immune-boosting properties.
Cocoa Powder: cocoa beans are ground so the fat is removed and results in powder. It’s low calorie and heart healthy.
Vega Protein Powder: plant-based, low calorie and low sugar with 25 g protein per serving – where to get
I throw a cocoa ball into my lunch box for a little sweet fix after lunch or in the afternoon when you start to get that sugar craving. It satisfies while keeping you on track.
This is yet another recipe where my mini food processor has come in handy! If you don’t have one, I highly recommend it! I’ve had mine for 8 years and it’s got plenty of life left in it! This is the one I use.
- Add the almonds to a food processor and pulse into fine crumbles, about 30 seconds (I love my mini food processor for recipes like this).
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the coconut oil and shredded coconut. Pulse another 10 seconds until combined.
- Add half of the coconut oil and pulse 10 seconds. Continue to add in coconut oil until the consistency is wet but it’s still clumping together a bit.
- Sprinkle the shredded coconut onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Form little balls with the cocoa mixture and roll in shredded coconut.
- Put them in the fridge or freezer for 20 min to set. Store in a tupperware.