Put just about anything on an avocado and you can sign me up! Chicken salad makes a perfect meal for lunch and bonus: it’s easy to pack up for work.
This chicken salad recipe is low in carbs and high in protein, which I love because it fills you up and helps rebuild muscle for athletic girls like me. I use 50/50 greek yogurt and mayo to cut some of the calories and add protein without sacrificing flavor.
Summer is right around the corner so I’ve been stepping up my toning exercises (I love barre classes!) and using heavier weights, which means I need high protein meals to rebuild that muscle. Chicken salad is perfect for that! After that hard work in the gym, make sure you don’t load up on too many carbs or unhealthy fats and undo your workout!
Add fresh chopped romaine or spinach to get more veggies and throw it on an avocado half. If you’re bringing an avocado half with you on the go, put a little lemon juice on it to prevent it from turning brown.
Trav and I are currently doing the Whole 30 (we’ve made it to day 19!) It’s been a great experience for us, but the hardest part is meal-prepping and making sure you have meals and foods on hand that you can grab and go. Chicken salad like this one is perfect for packing ahead of time. So, Whole 30-ers or Paleo peeps, you can substitute the mayo and greek yogurt for a whole30 approved mayo like avocado mayo or make your own at home to make this recipe whole30 friendly!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 avocado, sliced in half the long way & pit removed
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (eliminate for whole30 and replace with approved mayo)
- ¼ cup mayo or Paleo Mayo - where to get
- 2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful dried cranberries
- Handful walnut piece
- 1 cup chopped romaine or spinach
- Juice of ½ fresh lemon
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper on both sides and cook in heated pan. Cover and cook 5-8 minutes on each side. Shred the chicken with 2 forks in a large bowl.
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients (except avocado and greens) in the bowl until well combined.
- Divide the romaine or spinach between each plate.
- Add a large scoop onto each avocado half and plate. Serve cold.