I am so excited about this recipe because…INSTANT POT!
Whoever invented the instant pot, I want to hug you. What a great idea. Pressure cook, slow cook, saute, steam rice, and even make yogurt with it!
My personal favorite thing about it is that you can throw frozen meat straight into the pot and cook it in as little as 15 minutes! It’s also easy to make porridge, beans, quinoa etc in it.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of the links on my page, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I appreciate your support!
Why You Should Ditch Your Crockpot For an Instant Pot
And yet another cool thing about it is that the inside pot is made with stainless steel, which is awesome for a couple of reasons. First, I don’t know if you are aware that a lot of crock pots actually have lead in them! Which means that you’re at risk of it building up in your system just from using a crockpot over time. My blogger friend Kate wrote a post all about this issue, which you can read here. Second, it’s a lot lighter and easier to clean. You can throw most of the parts of the instant pot in the dishwasher for easy clean up.
There are several options for pressure cookers and the Pressure Cooker Pros compare them and offer reviews so you can make sure you’re getting the best one (hint: it’s the instant pot!)
In this recipe, I used the instant pot to cook frozen chicken in 15 minutes. And I use it to cook the baked potatoes in 12 minutes!
This meal is full of protein, fiber and deliciousness and it’s super easy to store as leftovers to bring to work for a healthy lunch.
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 3 organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup BBQ sauce of your choice
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Instant Pot - where to get
- Prepare the instant pot to cook the sweet potatoes first. Place the rack on the bottom of the pot and add 1 cup of water. Add sweet potatoes (they should all be roughly the same size). Put the lid on the pot and lock in place. Turn the valve to “seal.” Press “manual” and decrease the time to 12 minutes. It will beep 3 times and then cooking begins! Once it’s finished, allow it to vent naturally. Wait until the little metal piece next to the knob drops down. Then you can open the lid.
- Next you’ll cook the chicken. You can throw the chicken right in the pot frozen! You don’t need the rack this time. Add a little water or chicken broth to the pot (½ cup or so).
- Get the lid in place and press “Poultry”
- Once it’s finished, turn the valve to “vent” and allow the pressure to release before taking off the top.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks and mix with BBQ sauce.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and top with the BBQ chicken, mozzarella cheese, a dollop of greek yogurt and cilantro.
Never miss a post! I send out my new posts + weekly deals and fun finds once a week. Sign up here!