Whenever I order tacos somewhere, I tend to think of chicken or ground beef. Pretty basic. But what if you upgraded to Steak tacos?? Yes please!
This recipe I threw together one gloomy afternoon and it totally brightened the day. Literally, it’s full of color and it will perk up each of your tiny little taste buds! It takes a traditional taco to the next level.
It’s low-carb, high protein and flavorful – the perfect healthy combo. Each bite tastes like a warm summer day on a rooftop patio. Which is perfect if you’re stuck indoors in the dead of winter with inches of snow on the ground (or outside on a rooftop patio). Enjoy wherever you may be!
- 8-12 oz of steak of your choice (sirloin, skirt steak etc)
- 1 cup of chopped red cabbage
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn (I used frozen roasted mexican corn from Trader Joes)
- 1-2 avocadoes
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- Corn tortillas, the small ones
- 2 teaspoons of my homemade taco seasoning
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with the taco seasoning on both sides. Add some olive oil to the pan, it should be sizzling. Place the steak into the pan for about 5 min on each side (I like my steak cooked medium - add more or less time depending on your preference). When it’s done, transfer it to a cutting board and slice into thin strips. While that’s cooking, chop your red cabbage, tomatoes, onions and cilantro. Combine the tomatoes, onions, ½ of the cilantro, lime juice (use half of the lime) and a pinch of salt to make a salsa. Microwave the corn in a bowl with just a little water.
- Avocado dressing: In a food processor, combine greek yogurt, one avocado, cilantro, the rest of the lime juice and a pinch of salt. Blend together until smooth. If you want it to be more runny, add more lime juice or water. Otherwise, it’ll be the consistency of sour cream. If you need some spicy flavor, add sriracha or hot sauce of your choosing.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for 10 seconds. Fill them with corn, cabbage and salsa. Use a couple strips of steak per tortilla and top with the avocado dressing. If you need more avocado (who doesn’t need more avocado),, slice the other one and add to your tacos :) Garnish with cilantro! Nom nom nom.