Bacon. Lettuce. Tomato. What a good combo, right? Add avocado to that and it goes from good to AWESOME. We can’t get enough avocado around here. What an awesome fruit. I don’t know what the actual definition of a superfood is but in my book avocado qualifies. It provides healthy fat, it has more potassium than a banana, it’s tasty and it’s texture lets you do so many things with it! Make it into a spread, a dressing, a dip or eat it all by itself. I just love it.
When I put this together, I was craving a salad with a creamy dressing. I love a simple balsamic and olive oil dressing, but don’t you just crave a creamy ranch sometimes? The problem with that is that your healthy salad just turned into an unhealthy meal. You might as well go and get a burger for all those calories and fat! This is what inspired me to put together a healthier version of a ranch dressing. I didn’t completely eliminate fat and sugar because well… then it would just be gross. I substituted some of the mayo for greek yogurt, which packs a lot more protein and way less fat. You definitely need some mayo though. The greek yogurt has a bit of a sour flavor and I felt it needed a little sugar, but I kept it minimal.
Let’s talk about spiralizing!
The other cool thing about this salad is the spiralized cucumber. This way the cucumber adds some more substance to the base of the salad with the arugula. And you get some cucumber in every bite. I bought my spiralizer on amazon for pretty cheap and it works well for me! I use it for zucchini quite a bit. You can use it on lots of veggies. It makes your meals a little more interesting and creative. Especially when it comes to substituting noodles for veggies. What a good invention. If you need one I recommend this one from amazon. It’s simple to use and the price is right.
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 medium sized cucumber
- 2 handfuls grape or cherry tomatoes
- Handful of chopped chives
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 avocado
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and whisk together until well combined. I stored mine in an empty sriracha bottle because I like the squirt top. That’s how I got it to drizzle so pretty over the salad in the pictures. Pretty fancy looking, right? This also prevents you from dumping way too much dressing over your salad. Keep it in the fridge.
- Cook the turkey bacon in a pan or in the oven, whichever you prefer. I like to cook it in a pan until it’s crispy.
- Spiralize the cucumber into a bowl. I never realized how much water is in cucumber until I did this. I had a little puddle of green water at the bottom of my bowl! Drain that out.
- Chop the grape/cherry tomatoes in half. Dice up the avocado and lastly chop up the chives.
- To your plate, lay a bed of arugula then put the spiralized cucumber on top of that. Then add the rest of the ingredients and drizzle with ranch dressing. Enjoy your pretty salad!
Note: This works well as a side salad. If you want to make it an entree salad I would add more protein like diced chicken breast.